Wednesday, April 25

Birthdays

As I look back on the last 29 years, its hard to not be pensive and self-reflective. 29 is an odd year, it feels like the last year of my adolescence. I'm sure you're thinking that was 10+ years ago but really I just now feel like an adult. I have to say being an adult is FUN. Of course it comes with its ups and downs and lots more responsibility but also FREEDOM. I love my parents but they were "hands-on" {that is a nice way of saying a bit controlling. Love you mom and dad ;)!}. The freedom one has as an adult is so nice, liberating if you will. There were definitely a few years...ehemmm 25 and 26! That were difficult. The last thing i wanted to think about was getting older. But now, with grey hair, a few wrinkles and 10 or maybe 15 extra pounds (that will not budge), I can honestly say getting older feels nice. I don't love everything about it like the previously mentioned list but overall I wouldn't trade what I have been through and the lessons I have learned for anything. I have learned that being happy is a decision you make every single day. A decision no one else can make for you. Chris and I are newlyweds but we both came into this marriage with lots of life lessons under our belts. We definitely don't have it all figured out and not everything is perfect everyday but I look forward to learning the rest of life's lessons with him by my side. 29 is going to be a great year, maybe the best so far, well 28 was pretty amazing. 
Here are a few quotes I found about getting older. 
A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams. ~John Barrymore
Could this be any more amazing. I totally love this and plan on applying its idea to my life.   
   Regret can be paralyzing. 
Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, But beautiful old people are works of art.                         ~Eleanor Roosevelt
I love Eleanor Roosevelt, she was so wise. 
Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. ~Anonymous 
Wow, never thought of it this way. I am so lucky! 
Grandma's are little girls with wrinkles.~Anonymous
This just makes me smile. I LOVE this! 
I have some very fun pictures coming of the trip Chris surprised me with for my birthday but I wanted to have a bit of a serious birthday post. 
Chris you are such an amazingly huge part of my happiness. Thank you so much for always having a positive attitude, for making me feel so loved and blessed on my birthday, and every other day too! I love you! 

3 comments:

  1. Loved this post! Esp. the part about choosing to be happy. Happy Birthday, Lauren! Now that I'm off instragram, I don't even know when it was. You think Eleanor Roosevelt was wise? I think you are wise. PS I hope 29 brings you a babe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy happy birthday! Here's to a wonderful year!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Laurie I never look at blogs but I'm glad I did today! All I have to say is that you are a beautiful person!

    ReplyDelete